- Lutheran Social Services of Northeast Florida has welcomed refugees to Jacksonville for more than 35 years. Over the years we’ve helped people escape desperate situations in Vietnam, Laos, Bosnia, Ukraine, the former Soviet Union, Bhutan, Sudan, Iran, Afghanistan, Burma and the Congo.
- Our diverse Refugee Services program team – hailing from 14 countries and speaking 17 languages – helps refugees create new lives in this country.
- Refugee Services staff and volunteers begin the resettlement process well before refugee families arrive by preparing apartments with furniture, basic living staples and food. Once settled, the Refugee Services team conducts a 90-day orientation program that helps refugees connect with vital resources, enroll their children in schools, obtain proper work forms and manage healthcare issues.
- For refugees who have medical or other types of issues that require more extensive management than can be resolved in 90 days, the Refugee Services program offers integration assistance.
- The Refugee Services Program is the only area program that offers refugees employment services designed to foster self-sufficiency.
- We are experienced and know how to help, and with our network of supporters and community partners we are ready to do everything we can for refugee families when they arrive.
REFUGEE RESETTLEMENT STATISTICS
“After the Taliban consolidated its control over Afghanistan during the country’s Civil War, my family and I were forced to leave our homeland and seek refuge in Pakistan. In 2004, I arrived in this country at 8 years old. The Lutheran Social Services Refugee Services team resettled my family in an apartment in Jacksonville and found my mother a job opportunity. My life simply wouldn’t be the same without Lutheran Social Services.”
Ali Abdulzahir, refugee from Afghanistan